site meter

Monday, September 6, 2010

Welcome Back!

After a three month Summer break I am more than happier to welcome Fall 2010 classes at CSU Sacramento!  By the end of July I had already felt the loss of brain cells, and I am pleased to know I can start gaining them back.  Even though this week has been rough with impossible parking, waitlisted classes and too-early-in-the-morning classes, I could not be more excited to open books, exercise my writing, and most importantly practice my drawing. 

FACS 133, Creative Principles of Design, is the one class I have been looking forward to taking.  Unfortunately, this is the one class that I happen to be on the waitlist.  It is a shame too because this class is the only class for my major, Apparel Marketing and Design, that I have a chance in getting into.  The other four classes that I am enrolled in are for my minor, Journalism.  So, I am crossing my fingers for good news bright and early Wednesday morning.

Not only do I want to take this class because I have a passion in the subject, but it will allow me to drop my dreadful 7:30 a.m. class.  Truth is that early in the morning my brain just does not function, especially considering all summer I was crawling into bed at 4 a.m. So I am on my hands and knees praying that by some miracle I will be added into the FACS class, that way I can still fulfill my full-time requirements for financial aid, a blessing that I could not do without.  

Another exciting factor of the first week of classes has been the parking.  First, I must complain about the $156 for the parking permit; as if rising our tuition and the cost of books are not enough.  Sometimes I feel like it is expected that students have money dropping out of their pockets because they are just too full.  Last time I checked, my pockets were empty. 

To continue my small rant about Sac State's parking situation, the first week just also happens to be the week that two of the parking lots on campus are under construction giving students less options.  I have heard so many stories about students driving around for 30 minutes before they were able to park their car.  Fortunately, I only had to do that once this week.  I have been lucky to find parking quickly.  Nevertheless, I was late three days in a row because I underestimated the time it took to get to campus that early in the morning.  All summer my mornings did not start until the afternoon and I neglected the fact that because of morning traffic it is takes longer than usual to get anywhere. 

Furthermore, with three Journalism classes in my schedule, Column Writing, Magazine Writing, and Online Publishing, it has been quite a task not confusing assignments and due dates between them.  Of course I did fail at this, and missed one due date, but I suppose it is better to learn sooner than later.  Perhaps this mistake will help me not to make it again.  Otherwise this may be a very long semester. 

Overall, even though this first week back has been difficult because I have had to completely change my schedule, I am looking forward to learning.  The way I look at it is that I have already finished one week and there is only fifteen more weeks until I can get right back to letting my brain cells slip away.

1 comment:

  1. The brain cell issue that the writer comments on is probably more pervasive than she thinks.

    That said, this column needs some tighter organization to make it more effective.

    The major topics - getting a class, parking issues, problems with keeping assignments straight - are all interesting themselves, but needed some amplification and perhaps more specific examples.

    Overall, though, a good first effort.

    ReplyDelete