site meter

Monday, September 27, 2010

Playing on the safe Side

Only 35% of American women depend on a contraceptive, such as the birth control pill, instead of or in addition to condoms (yes those dreadful, inconvenient little rubbers) or other preventive methods.  Taking contraceptives is not absolutely necessary in preventing pregnancy. However, young adults and college woman are told that it is too risky to have sex without using contraceptives.  Even though I agree that contraceptives are not 100% necessary I have learned the hard way that it is better to play safe the hard way. 

I had one sexual partner for three years, and I refused to "consume hormones" as I once put it.  I took risks and I could have cared less.  I did not use a preventive method and after three years of not getting pregnant I did not see any reason to start taking birth control regardless what people told me. 

The about a year ago reality struck.  A positive pregnancy test meant my world was going to change, and it did.  Ten weeks later I did have an abortion. Because one, the relationship I was in was falling apart, and two, at 20 I was in no way ready to be a mother. 

Now, despite all my earlier immature thinking about birth control and other contraceptives, I have alarms and reminders to swallow that little blue pill every day.  And I encourage other women that are not using it to start.   

Two other girls, Danielle Stoir, 20, and Jackie Hobbs, 21, and I often invade the house in which all of our boyfriends are roommates.  The conversations that take place are sometimes personal, and I have asked about the methods they are practicing. 


Hobbs swears by two forms of methods at all times.  As she puts it she will not have sex unless there are two forms of preventive methods, most commonly the pill and a condom.  However, this can be a little over the top. 

The pill alone only gives her less than 1% chance of getting pregnant.  The only time a back up method is suggested is when a female is beginning to use birth control for the first time, or if they forgot to take a pill.  Even after hearing these facts, she still insists on her "two rule."  Whatever works for her works for her.     

There is no need to over think birth control.  Now days, it can take more effort for women to become pregnant than it does for to prevent it.  On the other hand Stoir has not used any contraception method.   Stoir did say though that she wants to but fears going to a clinic.  As a friend I told her that I would go with her and it is not as scary as she thinks.  There is no reason for her not to take birth control, and therefore she should even if it only raises the chance of her not getting pregnant slightly.

Plus there are benefits other than preventing pregnancies that come with taking the pill.  These include regulation of your period, lighter periods, and less cramps.  It also has a positive effect on PMMD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder), or also known as PMS, symptoms, which is a great thing for the people around us. 

So even though it is not necessary any sexually active female should play on the safe side and take advantage of what contraceptives have to offer.

1 comment:

  1. OK... any column on this topic should have some data in it, and not just be written with the writer's opinions.

    In this graph:

    "Only 35% of all American woman depend on a contraception, such as the birth control pill, instead of or in addition to condoms (yes those dreadful, inconvenient little rubbers) or other preventive methods. "

    we have a number, but where did it come from?

    And, please, it should say, "American WOMEN depend on a CONTRACEPTIVE"

    Spelling errors and using the wrong word don't sell readers on the case.

    Otherwise a sentence like the conclusion has no punch at all:

    "So even though it is not necassary any sexually active female should play on the safe side and take advantage of what contraceptions have to offer. "

    ReplyDelete